- The student will be introduced to the factors that affect aircraft performance.
- The student will become familiar with the operating limitations of his or her particular training aircraft.
- The student will learn to perform all necessary performance calculations including takeoff and landing distance, cruise performance, and weight and balance.
- Pilot's Operating Handbook
- Discuss atmospheric factors that affect aircraft performance
- Demonstrate how to calculate pressure altitude and density altitude
- Discuss how changes in density altitude affect the relationship between indicated and true airspeed
- Demonstrate how to perform a weight-and-balance calculation for the training aircraft
- Demonstrate how to perform a takeoff distance calculation for the training aircraft
- Identify applicable V-speeds and their values on the airspeed indicator of the training aircraft
- Using recent METARs, calculate and compare density altitudes for Miami, FL (KMIA) and Barrow, AK (PABR)
- Determine required landing distance for the training aircraft at the local airport using current conditions
- Calculate weight and balance of a given scenario for the training aircraft